Friday, May 22, 2015

Positive Developments

Today Ruth and I went to see "Tomorrowland." I saw a real positive review of it by Tom Long in The Detroit News, and when I checked the Free Press, it also said good things (3 out of 4 stars).

With Emily gone to Mackinac Island with the Marching Band (her very last high school field trip) we were free to go to the 3 pm Imax showing, where there were two other couples and us.

Nice comfy reclining seats, a bag of popcorn and raspberry iced tea, and we sat through more than two hours of Brad Bird creating another filmic cartoon. And while it was overlong and hit the optimism note with a sledgehammer, it had to female protagonists (and a grizzled but earnest George Clooney) and it was another in a stream of "Think Positive" messages.

So here's where I think positive about my life. Emily begins her summer vacation now, so I don't need to rise at 6:30, but I plan to. I plan to resume my Hapkido warm-up and exercise routine, and I plan to walk the dogs around the block more often, but at least once a day.

I intend to start working on the yard. David Grimes put a big dent in it today, cutting and weed-whacking the overgrown grass, but there's still plenty for me to trim with my hand mower and bagger. I plan to weed the circle out front that's got Ann's donated irises, and add more bulb like flowers for next year, and clean out the front gardens.

I plan to clean out the garage, recycling all the metal and cans I've collected. If I can get the yard squared away and the garage, we'd be halfway there for Emily's graduation party on June 14.

Plus, I'd be making positive progress in reducing the size of my gut. I've wrecked at least three pairs of pants trying to get them to close around the bulge, but if I work more and eat less, I hope to suck it back in.

So, then, I could resume writing again. It'd be sweet if I could get into the daily writing routine I was in six years ago. No reason I can't, and it would be good for everyone involved, including the whole world.

No comments:

Post a Comment